Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Brand spanking new Verizon Blackberry 8830 - First Impressions

Yee-haw... today felt like Christmas morning as I rushed to open the Fedex box. I ordered my Blackberry 8830 Monday and received it today. I can post specific pictures if anyone is interested, otherwise it looks just like the photos out there on all the other sites.

First impressions:

The silver color that everyone has complained about actually doesn't look that bad. I thought I would prefer the black of the 8800, but now.. Hmm, I will have to get back to you. I am not unhappy, thats for sure. It is approximately the same size as my Q, again the exact dimensions are out there for those who care. It feels very solid and just weighty enough to feel good in my hand. The leather case included is decent.

I have seen reports of the CPU being slower than the 8800, but I can tell you the interface feels very snappy and fast. And EVDO... whoo-hoo man it feels even faster on the 8830 than it did on my Q. I am in love... so much better than the slower 8800 data services. It really truly shines on data services.

I quickly installed the google java apps (Yahoo Go Mobile isn't available yet unfortunately) and they are slick and fast. Google Maps in particular looks great... the screen is so sharp and the data so fast satellite views feel like I am looking through a little window from high above the earth... and it pans around quite rapidly.

I don't have feedback on GPS yet because I am inside a building and can't get satellite lock... I will try from home and update later... Google Maps DOES recognize the GPS capability and this clears up a HUGE point of confusion I ran across on all the sites... GPS is in fact enabled, Verizon didn't kneecap us.

Volume seems amazing, even louder for rings and speakerphone than my girlfriend's Pearl. Call quality is great so far.

Last major impression- I was dubious about the keyboard although it looks decent... I have big hands and thick fingers and I haven't been happy with many mobile keyboards before, though I was hopeful about this one since my friends' blackberries seems decent... the verdict is... this is great, best mobile keyboard I have ever tried. Even though it feels like my fingers dwarf the keys, the arrangement and ridges are just right and I am achieveing great speed and accuracy.

I'll post followups in coming weeks on battery life, call quality, any problems that come up, and any "after the honeymoon" impressions.

Leave links to your own experiences in comments please!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am new to the blackberry world- Does it let you view Word, Excel and PDF files? I loved my Motorola Q also, but it crashed and needed recharging everynight. One thing I really like about the Q is that the OS is colorful! Do you see any drawbacks in your 8830 yet? I am looking forward to your response or blog entry! Thanks!

Mike VC said...

My reply/comment turned out so long I am gonna make it a blog entry.